Look carefully at the speeding ticket
Also known as, The Pleading which happens to be the Charge against you.
Examine the ticket: The important side is the side the officer did not fill in. It is the side explaining what it is you are supposed to do if you intend to fight.
Every state has their own format and in many states every jurisdiction may have its own format. There is no standard format. Consider this side as being designed with evil and malicious intent. Some of the information of evil intent may also be on the other side.
Here is what to look for and do
If you intend to plead not guilty or contest the ticket what must you do.
If you want the officer to be at your hearing what must you do
If you want to subpoena witnesses what must you do
Is it an infraction or an misdemeanor ( this relates to your 6th amendment rights)
If you want to examine any records or have copies of records, what must you do
IF THE GODS SMILED UPON YOU - Your Ticket may have a FATAL FLAW
Not doing as the ticket specifies is not fatal, however it will make your defense harder, possibly cause a second time consuming hearing, and cause unwanted confusion.
- If you send anything by mail send it registered, return receipt and keep a copy of what you sent. Bring it to court with you.
- If the ticket states anything to the effect that if you want the arresting officer present you must do something. DO IT ! You want the arresting officer present. I know , it sounds stupid, but you defiantly, absolutely, positively want to request the officer be there. Click on here to find out . WHY YOU WANT THE OFFICER PRESENT
- If your ticket says that you may subpoena the officer, do so This is a trick, the officer will not show up and the Judge will say that you should have subpoenaed the officer. Your case will not be dismissed and the Judge will use the officers written deposition as evidence.
(call the court clerk to find out how do subpoena the officer)
- If the ticket says that you must do something concerning discovery and you intend to use The Tipmra. Reply with these words only. 'The Defendant requests the prosecution present in court competent foundation to any evidence it intends to introduce.'
- If the ticket says the degree of proof is 'preponderance of the evidence' on it. Panic unless you use The Tipmra. (This has no impact on a Tipmra defense; it is the kiss of defeat if you use any other defense). If you don't use The Tipmra, this means that the Judge will consider it is more then likely that you were speeding and find you guilty. That is preponderance of the evidence. Read STANDARDS OF PROOF
Now read the rest of the ticket and try to determine what method was used to determine your speed. If it is not indicated on your ticket you can request this information from the court. The court may give you a wrong answer. Unless the ticket specifically states the method or you know what method was used then come prepared with all defenses, Laser (lidar), Radar, Vascar and speedometer defenses.